Saturday, May 2, 2009

Time For A Hero Story

Today was supposed to be rainy, and it held off; I think that used up our good fortune for the day. Nothing was dreadful, but nothing made me jig for joy either.

Midge was a good enough boy, went around and mostly did his job. We had one very... colorful?... flying change, which involved kicking at my leg so hard I swear it was parallel to the ground, but other than that and a few moments of tension it was an honest little ride. He squeaked a win with a 66%, and we've got one qualifying score for Regionals.

Poor Ella warmed up like a genius. I mean, really amazing. People stopped to watch amazing. And we went up to the ring and started to trot around, and every muscle in her body just locked. Remember, please, that she hasn't been in a showring since October 07, and while she's done plenty of travelling in that time, the show environment is different. Add unbelievable tension to the fact that I didn't, if you want to get technical about it, actually know my test, and we somehow managed an also-ran 62% at 4-2. Wish they'd judged the warmup - she would have smoked it.

My students, though, had a bang-up day; one client with a VERY tricky project horse took almost a 69% in one of her classes, and my working student managed to not hyperventilate in her first show ever on her young horse, who can be a pistol, but was the model of civility today. They'll be On tomorrow, as, I'm hoping, will Midge. Ella rides her first FEI test tomorrow - whoo! - which may or may not be a good idea, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Highlights of my day: a visit from student and buddy Sara, who took AMAZING photos (I'll post 'em when I get 'em), and her family, who are all very amazing; and the oh-so-exciting Derby. If this country ever needed a hero story, it's now, so go, Birdie, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment