Saturday, May 16, 2009

PVDA's Mixed Bag

Here we are at PVDA at Morven Park, where it is (shocker!) raining. First thing's first: photos! Courtesy of my student and right hand gal Jessica.

I rode Cleo in our first Young Rider Grand Prix test, which I did just for giggles. It is a YUCKY, YUCKY TEST, and I didn't ride it terribly well today. Nearly all the passage work is on turns, and I just never got the rhythm in any of the passage, anywhere. The canter work was quite nice, but not nice enough to save the score: 62%. But I've got a better plan for my warmup for tomorrow, and I've done more work on the Brentina test, so tomorrow's gonna be great!

Poor Ella couldn't cut a break either: she had a BEAUTIFUL 4-3, save a few little bobbles, all of which conveniently fell in coefficient movements. And then I got my test sheet back, and the judge hammered me for the quality of her walk (which wasn't great, but not dreadful) and her canter (which actually was pretty good). Weird.

I was pretty skeeved, and was considering scratching Midge, because his weaknesses are, of course, his walk and canter. But the sun was out in spite of everyone's predictions, so I figured what the heck. He was a VERY good boy, a little scary in the medium and extended canters per usual, but better than normal in the medium and extended trots, and my work in the changes has really helped. I smiled and went back to the barn (just missing the ensuing rain) and didn't give much thought when I went to get my score.

Which was a 69.7%. With an 8 on gaits. To win the class, and to be the highest score at Third Level today by more than 2%. I am now the proud owner of a very nice shiny plate.

Wowza!

So: tomorrow is another day for Ella and Cleo, and Midge... more of the same from you, kid. You're a rockstar.

More fun on the rockstar front: student Julie got a 7ty freaking5% at Training Level today on a horse who, six months ago, was quite tricky, and a year ago was pretty dangerous. I'm so proud of how far she's come!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pics Lauren - Cleo is such a beautiful mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Jessica got talent - nice photos! You and your horses look smashing!

    ReplyDelete