Friday, February 6, 2009

Why I Do This

I'm really looking forward to this weekend, because it's going to be 60 beautiful degrees and sunny. My horses have all been fairly average this week, with the exception of Midge, who must have read my previous entry about my unconditional love for him and decided to put it to the test by being a rank pain in the ass. Maybe with this weekend's warmth he'll melt a little.

Ella's actually been really good, though I'm in that annoying place where she understands what I want mentally but isn't quite strong enough to offer it physically (canter pirouettes - who needs 'em!). I'm just finding the redundancy of the work a little tedious. And Cleo's been fine, good enough, just not exceptional. I think everyone needs to get out of the arena for a few rides, and hopefully this weekend's weather will provide that opportunity.

What's keeping me going: my students' horses are blowing me away. A new full-training client horse is proving to be a fun project - it's a client I adore, which is great, but her horse is really coming around fast, which is really extra great. I've been also spending a lot of time with my pony clubbers, who are kicking butt. And the highlight of my week has been a young student of mine who got her pony round and through at walk, trot and canter both directions today for the first time. I realized at the end of her lesson that I was grinning from ear to ear, possibly even bigger than her grin. So much for professionalism, but when I'm proud of them, I don't feel any need to contain myself!

Now if only my horses would get the memo!

No comments:

Post a Comment