Wednesday, February 25, 2009

TGFV (Thank God For Video)

Just back from my monthly clinics in Chicago, which was GREAT fun - it's a lovely barn with lovely people, so it'd be fun no matter what, but it's also very cool to see the progress in the horses and riders from month to month. And, not gonna lie - the pizza is a big, big deal too. :)

The stomach-flu-of-death has transitioned to the lingering-head-cold-of-death, more annoying than physically detrimental, though it was pretty comical trying to get through airport security holding my own box of Kleenex. My nose was grateful, though: whoever figured out how to get lotion on tissue deserves a Nobel Prize.

I got video of my rides with Pam from last weekend, and I was blown away. Mirrors in the arena are great, but NOTHING beats video. I was encouraged, because the horses really do look as good as they feel, but I was also more than a little embarassed to see that the weird thing I do with my neck has returned, so it's back to equitation school for me. It was also really helpful to see the horses go from beginning of ride to end of ride. Pam told me that I was riding Ella too fast, mistaking fast for forward, and I couldn't believe her - she looked great in the mirror, so what's the deal? Seeing it on video made it really sink in: holy schmolies, I'm running her off her legs! Slow down and allow for cadence and voila, Ella's a genius. Thank god for video! How did Xenophon do it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment