Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Vroooom!

A meager 82* was the high for today, which was reached at the farm by 10 am. Nice. It made Midgey delightful - I could put my leg on! I decided to work Cleo today, which may or may not have been a good idea, but she was a little tough in spite of the heat; typical day-after-a-day-off behavior. She'll be a star tomorrow. And Ella is in one of those annoying developmental plateaus where she can do everything I ask as long as I don't ask for the carriage and/or engagement and/or power from the hind leg that I want, or she can give me the carriage/engagement/power that I want as long as we just canter or trot around. She's been a good sport about it all.

Speaking of high performance vehicles, my beloved Volkswagen is contemplating giving up the ghost. It's a 2000 Beetle with 140k miles on it, and while it still runs easily, it's had a Series of Small Problems, $500 fixes. At some point I'm going to get past the value of my poor little Bug, so on Monday I had one of my first Grown Up Experiences: car shopping.

I test drove a few things, and I've narrowed it down to the Honda Fit (my favorite), the Nissan Versa (the cheapest), and the Hyundai Elantra Touring (the priciest, but barely, and feels like a luxury car). I didn't even bother trying the Toyota Yaris - the controls are in the center of the dashboard! What's up with that? - and I hated the Scion xD. And I had a MISERABLE experience at a Kia dealership, with a sleazeball agent.

So I made my test drives, and I'm doing my research, finding used options, looking for the best deals on new ones, looking at warranties, and figuring it all out. Want some fun? Google "buy a new car" and try and make sense of it all. Yuck! Give me horses any day.

5 comments:

  1. Love, love my Honda! Would never buy any other make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a honda fit and LOVE it! I can fit ANYTHING inside it!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honda is the way to go-- mine is a '96, 230k, and still truckin'! And she's got a long life ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my civic, but it is too small (kids and coupes suck). I have been wanting a fit for like 2 years- though I think the Toyota matrix looks good too!
    Also Midgy baby piaffe is awesome... :D

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother is in love with the Scion.

    I tell her she is nuts.


    We have had this conversation n times.

    ReplyDelete