Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I am having vehicle drama.

1. Hop in my car, pull out of the drive, and the check engine light starts to flash. Bollocks. I just got an oil change - what could be wrong? And why flashing? In the past when I've had engine problems, the light just goes on. Open up my manual to learn that a flashing check engine light means that the catalytic converter is going - a potentially very expensive repair.

Ruh-roh.

I make it to the shop, the engine losing power and making the car shake with increasing gravity as I go. Tell Fix It Man my tale of drama and woe, and possibly include the a) windshield that has been cracked since last October (when a big walnut tree fruit fell on it - seriously, scared the crap out of me), and b) the driver side window that won't roll all the way down because a deer RAN INTO MY CAR. While in motion. Some girls have all the luck.

My car is a 2000 VW Beetle. It's got 138,000 miles on it. It's been rode hard and put away wet. And I'm fearing the worst.

2. I need something to drive, so I unhook my beautiful 4-horse trailer from the truck, unhook the safety chains, take off the emergency brake line, roll up the gooseneck, put down my tailgate, and drive off.

With the electric line still attached.

I am a dope.

3. Speaking of trailers, I've been half-heartedly searching for a 2+1 gooseneck. My 4-horse is FABULOUS but ginormous, and I have a little weenie 2-horse bumper pull that's great, but Cleo BARELY fits unless I make it a box stall, and there's no room for hay or shavings or whatever. So when I see this ad for a local trailer dealership hosting a bank liquidation sale on brand new Kiefer trailers. The prices are better than new, but still awfully high, so I give them a call. Hey, maybe if I offer cash up front, pick-it-up-today, they'll wheel and deal with me. I am very polite, very dumb and innocent sounding.

Ohmygod BITCHY - the sales rep was a total, unmitigated ASS. No, we don't negotiate. No, we don't care if you don't need financing. No, there's no point in calling the bank. No. No. Absolutely not. No.

I drop the niceness. "Well, the bank must not be interested in selling them then."
Her Bitchiness: "Well, for your information, they are FLYING off the lot."
Well. Bully for you. Schmuck.

4. Fix-It-Man reports that the engine damage was a quick fix - a simple coil that was keeping one engine cylinder from firing. Hoorah! But the windshield and the door and the several lights that are on their way out (bulbs, fuses, who knows) all need to be dealt with before the car will pass inspection, which it'll be up for in July. Boo!

2 comments:

  1. Check with your insurance about the windshield. They don't really want you on the rode with a cracked one; in some states they cover the cost of repair/replacement. (Just had to take advantage of that a few months ago myself.)

    ReplyDelete