Sunday, March 22, 2009

Liniminty Fresh

After the capsacin drama at the Olympics, I was at the office of Dr. Kent Allen, team vet for the eventers, head dude of the USEF Drugs & Meds comittee, and all-around swell guy. He noticed the Equilite Sore No More sticker on my trailer, and asked me if I knew if there was capsacin in Sore No More. No, I said, just herbs and witch hazel. It works a treat, and is totally legal.

He said that another vet (in some important, official capacity; I can't exactly recall) had told him that it was illegal. Eventually, we got to the root of the problem: Equilite's Sore No More contains no capsacin, but there is another company out there who makes a people product under the same name that does.

USEF did some homework, and just recently released this: Sore No More is USEF competition legal, as opposed to these guys. So there's the scoop, recognized competitors! I keep Sore No More liniment in my tack box at every show, and I LIVE for their poultice.

3 comments:

  1. Since I don't show, I have no idea about things like this but why is Capsacin illegal to have in the system for competition horses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it masks lameness or calms, there's a good chance it's illegal. Capsacin is a very effective anti-inflammatory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah I know that, my agility teacher used it for one of her dogs... that's why I was confused... but then it can mask lameness?

    ReplyDelete