Sunday, January 25, 2009

Attack of the Cleones!

It's pretty much decided: if I'm unsuccessful in selling one of Cleo's embryos (or, as coined by a reader, "Cleones"!!!), we're going to breed her and do an ET ourselves.

This is very new and exciting territory for me, as I've never bred anything, and I'm very un-knowledgeable about the process (well, everyone knows THAT part of the process, it's the parts before and after I'm a little unclear on): fresh or frozen? Who should do my repro work? And the most important question of all: who's your daddy?

Fortunately, I've got some top breeders in my arsenal of buddies. I'm turning to the COTH forums for stallion suggestions, which is yielding interesting results thus far; lots of good knowledge there. Scott is, of course, on my list of people to consult. My parents hosted a foreign exchange student whose family is quite close to the Leatherdales, who are very involved in the AHS, not to mention top breeders in their own right. On the whole, I think I'm on the right track.

It's an awfully fun dream, though. I want something to improve her shoulder and front end - we joke that she's got Maserati hind legs and Dodge Dart front legs - and perhaps something a tick more short coupled, and maybe even shorter period (though I am a tall and leggy thing, smaller is easier to deal with). I'd like something very elastic and supple, and most importantly, very, very rideable - I LOVE 'em hot, but they have to be hot in the I'll-work-with-you kind of way, not in the I'll-eat-you-for-breakfast kind of way. I'd take Cleo to a different registry's approvals if I needed to, but I'm confident I'll find a good nick within the American Hanoverians.

It's fun daydreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment